Re: Different size in the DATA directory

From: Tim Perdue <tim(at)perdue(dot)net>
To: Maurício Sessue Otta <mauricio(at)cristorei(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Different size in the DATA directory
Date: 2002-11-01 16:02:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

Maurício Sessue Otta wrote:

> Hi, in my production server a "du -hs" in the DATA directory
> returns 21GB
> in a newly installed server, after I restored the dumps from the
> production server, the "du -hs" gives me just 8GB
>
> why is there such a diference???
>
> what should I do (besides buying bigger and bigger HDs) ???
>
> []'s Mauricio

I had this same problem with 7.1.x, even doing full vacuums on
SourceForge.net last year.

I assumed after a while that there was some hidden bug where file bloat
occurred, despite the vacuum. After 3 months or so, you'd have to
dump/restore the entire db and you'd be golden for a while again. After
the dump/restore process things seemed much snappier too, and vacuum ran
almost instantly.

I haven't verified if this problem still occurs in 7.2.x, using vacuum full.

Tim