Re: (A) native Windows port

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (A) native Windows port
Date: 2002-07-02 19:14:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen wrote:
> [...]
>
> And if having a working, usable, Win32 native port gets the subject of good
> upgrading higher up the priority list, BY ALL MEANS LET'S SUPPORT WIN32
> NATIVELY! :-) (and I despise Win32....)

Hehehe :-)

> [...]
> Martin O has come up with a 'pg_fsck' utility that, IMHO, holds a great deal
> of promise for seamless binary 'in place' upgrading. He has been able to
> write code to read multiple versions' database structures -- proving that it
> CAN be done.

Unfortunately it's not the on-disk binary format of files that causes
the big problems. Our dump/initdb/restore sequence is also the solution
for system catalog changes. If we add/remove internal functions, there
will be changes to pg_proc. When the representation of parsetrees
changes, there will be changes to pg_rewrite (dunno how to convert
that). Consider adding another attribute to pg_class. You'd have to add
a row in pg_attribute, possibly (because it likely isn't added at the
end) increment the attno for 50% of all pg_attribute entries, and of
course insert an attribute in the middle of all existing pg_class rows
... ewe.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #