Re: Large Join Dies

From: Jeremy Buchmann <jeremy(at)wellsgaming(dot)com>
To: Jeff Madison <jeff(at)ikano(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large Join Dies
Date: 2002-04-18 00:35:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jeff Madison wrote:
> Running Postgres 7.1.4 from RedHad RPM on RedHat 7.2. When ever we run
> a query where we are joining more than 3 tables the query never returns.
> Any ideas?
>
> Jeff

Jeff,

It would help to know things like:

* What the exact query is (and an EXPLAIN of the query)

* How big the tables are (and the general schema)

* What kind of hardware you're running on

Off the top of my head, I would say check your table1.key = table2.key
join constraints. More than three tables leads to a lot of constraints
and if you miss just one, you'll get a big cartesian product that will
make the query seemingly go on forever even if your tables are of moderate
size.

--Jeremy