Re: large file limitation

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Adrian Phillips <adrianp(at)powertech(dot)no>
Cc: Jeff <jeff(dot)brickley(at)motorola(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: large file limitation
Date: 2002-01-19 13:05:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Jeff,

Large file support was recently added to the PostgreSQL Installation
Guide for Solaris :

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/installguides.php#solaris

If you run the command :

/bin/getconf LFS_CFLAGS

it will tell you which libraries you need to include. Pretty much
that's what's been added to the guide.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Adrian Phillips wrote:

> Jeff> I have installed Postgres 7.1.3 on a Solaris 2.8 machine.
> Jeff> When I dump the database the file is larger than the 2 GB
> Jeff> limit. I checked with our unix admin and he confirmed that
> Jeff> Solaris 2.8 would not support files larger than 2GB until he
> Jeff> made a modification to use large files. He made the
> Jeff> modification and we verified that the unix system could
> Jeff> handle files larger than 2GB. I then dumped the database
> Jeff> again and noticed the same situation. The dump files
> Jeff> truncate at the 2GB limit. I suppose I need to recompile
> Jeff> Postgres now on the system now that it accepts large files.
> Jeff> Is there any library that I need to point to manually or
> Jeff> some option that I need to pass in the configuration? How
> Jeff> do I ensure Postgres can handle large files (>2GB)
>
> I've had the same problem with another type of backup (file system)
> aganst an AIX machine and thought the following would work :-
>
> dump <options> | cat > filename
>
> assuming cat could write bigger files. Unfortunately with the little
> time I spent trying to get it to work I was unable to do so but I
> would of thought it would work in theory.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Adrian Phillips
>
> --
> Your mouse has moved.
> Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect.
> Reboot now? [OK]

- Indira Gandhi