pitfalls of installing pgpool on a standby server

From: "Burgess, Freddie" <FBurgess(at)Radiantblue(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pitfalls of installing pgpool on a standby server
Date: 2014-04-25 16:42:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Environment: PostgreSQL 9.3.3 on RHEL 6.4

We have already configured streaming replication in our environment. We have a master/primary and two standby server configuration. Our next task requires us to configure and install pgpool.

we do not have funds allocated for a dedicated VM for pgpool, what are the ramifications for installing pgpool on one of the standby servers in our 3 node configuration.

we want to leverage the installer: installer-pg93-3.3.3.tar.gz

Will running this installer intuitively reason that replication is already configured and running on the three nodes and just perform the remaining required components of the setup?

thanks

Freddie