Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?

From: hstenger(at)adinet(dot)com(dot)uy
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?
Date: 2000-08-22 17:02:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> > > I don't think so ... we changed the name 4+ years ago, and, quite frankly,
> > > have worked for 4+ years at building an identity around that ... ppl know
> > > what PostgreSQL is, and what it represents ... could you imagine someone
> > > changing Apache, or Linux, or Oracle? I really don't see what is so hard
> > > about pronouncing Post-Gres-QL ... *shrug*
> >
> > The name is certainly ugly, but it's got history behind it: it gives
> > appropriate credit to those who went before us. (Don't forget that
> > the roots of this project go back twenty-odd years.) There's unlikely
> > to be much support around here for changing the name, no matter what
> > alternative is offered.
> >
> > FWIW, I say "post-gres-cue-ell", same as Marc.
>
> I think we need to get this put up on the main page in big bold letters as
> one of those "dictionary pronounciation" sort of things so that it the
> first thing that ppl learn when they hit our site :)

We in spanish speaking areas, are clueless most of the times when pronouncing
english names when speaking to non-english speakers, or when mixing english
words with spanish words. As to PostgreSQL, I pronounce it (in spanish)
"postgres" "s" "q" "l" inevitably doubling the "s", and hardly saying the "t".
Alternatively, I'd just say "postgres" as most of the people hasn't ever heard
about Berkeley's ages old project. Pronouncing it "postgre" "s" "q" "l" is hard
in spanish as the "name" of the letter "s" is "ese", and so saying "postgre"
"ese" "q" "l" is harder (and uglier) to pronounce than "postgres" "s" "q" "l".

Regards,
Haroldo.