Retrieving last InsertedID : INSERT... RETURNING safe ?

From: <spastor(at)motionsponsor(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Retrieving last InsertedID : INSERT... RETURNING safe ?
Date: 2008-02-20 09:44:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello everyone,

This is my very first POST in this list. I am just starting to work with postgresql and the jdbc driver and so far so good !
Only one exception is regarding the best method to retrieve the last inserted id (serial). There are many posts on this topic but i couldn t find a definitive response.
I am using postgresql version 8.2.6 and jdbc 8.2_p505, i ve been experiencing INSERT statement with RETURNING myID, using an executeQuery it works great, i retrieve the proper value everytime at least from the few tests i have been doin locally.
Is it THAT easy or could this method break somehow in a live environement ? If yes could you advise on another method ?

Thanks in advance

Sebastien.