Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Markus Bertheau" <mbertheau(dot)pg(at)googlemail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-08 11:54:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 8, 2008 10:29 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 8. Februar 2008 schrieb Markus Bertheau:
> > Maybe the existing SVN, git and other mirrors could just become more
> > official and supported in the sense that users can rely on them to be
> > updated often enough?
>
> I think you are right. Some of that is already being worked on. It certainly
> seems that a lot of people are interested in these services.

+1

In particular, if the git repos were officially supported, and best
practises for use with Postgres documented, I think a lot more hackers
would be comfortable using git to do their work, which is good for
collaboration (as mentioned by Greg Stark and Heikki upthread).

Seems if we could get some of the advantages of using a modern
distributed SCM without the "hard sell" of changing the central repos,
that's worth going for.

Cheers
BJ