Re: Including Snapshot Info with Indexes

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andreas Joseph Krogh" <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Including Snapshot Info with Indexes
Date: 2007-10-13 12:26:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On 10/13/07, Gokulakannan Somasundaram <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I went through this article and it was good. Please have a look at it.
>
> http://www.databasecolumn.com/2007/09/one-size-fits-all.html
>
> This article was written by Michael Stonebraker, considered to be the
> founder of our database. He has mentioned that the DBMS designed in 1970s
> haven't changed according to the change that has happened in Hardware
> landscape. The Vertica database(Monet is a open source version with the same
> principle) makes use of the very same principle. Use more disk space, since
> they are less costly and optimize the data warehousing.

Sorry, but quoting Stonebraker (who has a *financial* interest in his
statement), is pointless. Similarly, you can't directly compare his
concepts to your case.

IMHO, you're trying to get buy-in. In this group, unless you have a
patch that proves something, you're generally out of luck. My
suggestion is to start coding. You will find, as I did, that DSM is a
better solution.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301