Re: Creating a Pseudocolumn

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Pgsql Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Creating a Pseudocolumn
Date: 2006-05-16 13:42:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/16/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:
> I'm assuming that what's actually being implemented is the SQL standard
> method with the Oracle alternative being another way of specifying the
> same thing?

I'm working on both versions of hierarchical queries; CONNECT BY for
EnterpriseDB and WITH [RECURSIVE] for PostgreSQL. Currently, they're
completely separate implementations, but in a few months I should be
able to translate CONNECT BY into actual WITH syntax.

Anyway, I'm working on the CONNECT BY version and am looking at how
best to implement the level pseudocolumn. In the pseudocolumn
respect, this is somewhat similar to the rownum discussion.

I've added a system attribute to handle level, and it does work. But,
I'm thinking there's going to be a couple gotcha's hidden in there
somewhere.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301