Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kurt Harriman <harriman(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions
Date: 2009-12-16 15:10:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Hypothetical old, crappy compilers would still work, only AC_C_INLINE
> would turn "static inline" into plain "static", so hypothetically
> they would get some warnings about unused functions.

> As this is all hypothetical, I don't see why that should stop us
> cleaning our code?

There's nothing "hypothetical" about it --- I still regularly check
that the code builds on an old HP compiler that doesn't have inline.

I remind you that the project policy is to not require any compiler
features not found in C89. If you can exploit inline on more compilers
than now, fine, but assuming that everything has got it is not OK.