pg_upgrade: make the locale comparison more tolerant

From: Pavel Raiskup <praiskup(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade: make the locale comparison more tolerant
Date: 2013-12-21 15:24:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello pg-hackers!

I tried to look at the problem resulting in changes mentioned here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20121002155857.GE30089@momjian.us

If the system locale is changed e.g. from en_US.utf8 to en_US.utf-8 before
upgrading the data stack for newer server, pg_upgrade fails. It is quite
awkward to ask users to change locale.conf contents just for upgrade
purposes; is there other known workaround?

I attached patch aimed to remove this hurdle. After its application, the
in-place upgrade finished successfully for me under mentioned conditions,
though I am not 100% sure about its correctness.

Thanks, Pavel

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-pg_upgrade-tolerate-more-locale-spelling.patch text/x-patch 3.1 KB