Re: SQL objects UNITs

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL objects UNITs
Date: 2013-12-21 15:25:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Andrew Dunstan (andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net) wrote:
> >That having been said, having a flag we can set to
> >dump the extension contents normally rather than just dumping a CREATE
> >EXTENSION statement seems completely reasonable to me.
> >
> >ALTER EXTENSION foo SET (dump_members = true/false);
> >
> >It's even got use cases outside of what Dimitri wants to do, like
> >dumping and restoring an extension that you've manually modified
> >without losing your changes.
>
> Yeah, seems like it might have merit.

I like the simplicity of this approach as well, but I believe Tom had
concerns about having some extensions behave quite different from
others (hence the earlier suggetsion to name the 'dumpable' ones
something different). That said, I'm starting to wonder about a few
different options that might be handy- having the extension be dumpable
(or maybe an option to pg_dump to dump them from the DB, or not), and
perhaps an option to have the version # included in the dump (or an
option to exclude it, such as when run by pg_upgrade..?). Perhaps
similar things for pg_restore.

In any case, this is certainly the way I had been hoping the discussion
would go..

Thanks,

Stephen