Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels
Date: 2014-06-10 16:05:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Robert's idea of having the start script set an environment variable to
>> control the OOM adjustment reset seems like it would satisfy my concern.

> I'm fine with this solution. Should this be a constant 0, or be
> configurable based on env. variable's value?

If we're going to do this, I would say that we should also take the
opportunity to get out from under the question of which kernel API
we're dealing with. So perhaps a design like this:

1. If the environment variable PG_OOM_ADJUST_FILE is defined, it's
the name of a file to write something into after forking. The typical
value would be "/proc/self/oom_score_adj" or "/proc/self/oom_adj".
If not set, nothing happens.

2. If the environment variable PG_OOM_ADJUST_VALUE is defined, that's
the string we write, otherwise we write "0".