Re: libpq.so.4

From: Oliver Kohll <oliver(at)gtwm(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq.so.4
Date: 2008-06-08 22:27:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks all, option 2 seems to work for me, just wanted to be sure I
wasn't asking for crashes.

Oliver Kohll

On 8 Jun 2008, at 18:01, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oliver Kohll <oliver(at)gtwm(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>> What I've thought of trying so far is
>> 1) creating a symlink called libpq.so.4 towards libpq.so.5 - slightly
>> dangerous due to possible API changes?
>
> Worth trying. According to the CVS logs
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-04/msg00341.php
> the ABI break from .4 to .5 was simply to stop exporting symbols that
> weren't officially part of the API. So a symlink would work for
> applications that played by the rules, and if you have any that
> didn't the failure will be pretty obvious.
>
>> 2) extracting a copy of libpq.so.4 from the previous RPM release of
>> postgres and manually uploading it
>
> That would work too.
>
>> 3) building a custom compat package - I don't know how to do this
>> though.
>
> If you got the 8.3 package from someplace they should have an 8.1
> compat package too.
>
> regards, tom lane
>
> --

oliver(at)gtwm(dot)co(dot)uk / 0845 456 1810 / 07814 828608
www.gtwm.co.uk - company
www.gtportalbase.com - product

NOTE
No contracts may be concluded on behalf of GT webMarque by means of e-
mail
communications. The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the
intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed;
it may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than this addressee,
nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please return to
sender via e-mail.

DISCLAIMER
Please note that neither GT webMarque Ltd nor the sender accept any
responsibility for viruses transmitted via e-mail. It is your
responsibility to scan attachments (if any).