Re: Compile warnings on OSX 10.10 clang 6.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, John Gorman <johngorman2(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compile warnings on OSX 10.10 clang 6.0
Date: 2015-04-04 14:57:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 6:21 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> It occurred to me that maybe we could just turn off this class of warning,
>> and after some experimentation I found out that
>> "-Wno-unused-command-line-argument" does that, at least in the version
>> of clang that Apple's currently shipping.
>>
>> Who's for enabling that if the compiler takes it?

> Yes, please. I always found those pthread warnings annoying.

After a bit more experimentation I found out that for both gcc and clang
(at least in the versions I'm using, on RHEL6 and Yosemite), you can
write "-Wno-anythingatall" and the compiler will not complain about it.
(And how did *that* get by the bozo who put in this warning, I wonder.)
So that means that if we just add the obvious test

PGAC_PROG_CC_CFLAGS_OPT([-Wno-unused-command-line-argument])

then we will end up including that in CFLAGS on pretty much every
platform, whether or not there's an actual problem to solve.

gcc *does* complain about -Wunused-command-line-argument, so a possible
answer is to test for that and then add the other to CFLAGS. That seems
kinda grotty though, does anyone have another way?