Re: On partitioning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On partitioning
Date: 2014-11-12 22:06:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I thought putting the partition boundaries into pg_inherits was a
> strange choice. I'd put it in pg_class, or in pg_partition if we
> decide to create that.

Yeah. I rather doubt that we want this mechanism to be very closely
tied to the existing inheritance features. If we do that, we are
going to need a boatload of error checks to prevent people from breaking
partitioned tables by applying the sort of twiddling that inheritance
allows.

> Maybe as anyarray, but I think pg_node_tree
> might even be better. That can also represent data of some arbitrary
> type, but it doesn't enforce that everything is uniform.

Of course, the more general you make it, the more likely that it'll be
impossible to optimize well.