Re: SQL/MED - file_fdw

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL/MED - file_fdw
Date: 2011-01-11 00:26:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> For the purpose of file_fdw, additional ResetCopyFrom() would be
> necessary. I'm planning to include such changes in file_fdw patch.
> Please find attached partial patch for ResetCopyFrom(). Is there
> anything else which should be done at reset?

Seems like it would be smarter to close and re-open the copy operation.
Adding a reset function is just creating an additional maintenance
burden and point of failure, for what seems likely to be a negligible
performance benefit.

If you think it's not negligible, please show some proof of that before
asking us to support such code.