Re: Lack of urgency in 8.3 reviewing

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lack of urgency in 8.3 reviewing
Date: 2007-05-17 03:27:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/16/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> Yep, that is part of our problem, but even items people have already
> said they _can_ review have shown little progress.

For complex patches, it might help to identify and associate a core/senior
community member in the early stages of design and development. This
member will then have enough insight into the work as it progresses and can
him/herself act as a committer and/or help the committer later.

We developed HOT in a phased manner. Had each of the incremental patches
been reviewed, I think the review process would have been much easier
and less painful. Also that would have helped us to identify any obvious
bugs/show stoppers early in the cycle and might have even generated better
ideas to do things differently.

Having said that, I fully understand the difficulties of the committers who
need to put substantial efforts in understanding the patch and guage its
overall impact.

Thanks,
Pavan