Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features)

From: Alena Rybakina <lena(dot)ribackina(at)yandex(dot)ru>
To: Damir Belyalov <dam(dot)bel07(at)gmail(dot)com>, zhihuifan1213(at)163(dot)com
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, anisimow(dot)d(at)gmail(dot)com, HukuToc(at)gmail(dot)com, Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features)
Date: 2023-11-14 10:16:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On 14.11.2023 13:10, Damir Belyalov wrote:

>  Here is a very straw-man-level sketch of what I think might work.
>  The option to COPY FROM looks something like
>
>       ERRORS TO other_table_name (item [, item [, ...]])
>

> I tried to implement the patch using a table and came across a number
> of questions.
>
> Which table should we implement for this feature: a system catalog
> table or store this table as a file or create a new table?
>
> In these cases, security and user rights management issues arise.
> It is better for other users not to see error lines from another user.
> It is also not clear how access rights to this table are inherited and
> be given.

Maybe we can add a guc or a parameter to output such errors during the
execution of the copy function with errors and check whether the user
has enough rights to set such a parameter?

That is, I propose to give the user a choice to run copy with and
without saving errors and at the same time immediately check whether the
option with error output is possible for him in principle?

Alena Rybakina