Re: [9.3 bug] disk space in pg_xlog increases during archive recovery

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [9.3 bug] disk space in pg_xlog increases during archive recovery
Date: 2013-07-31 13:43:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, Fujii san, all,

From: "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Do you think this should be fixed?
>
> I think so.
>
>> How should it be fixed?
>
> What about removing the restored archived file as soon as it's replayed
> if cascading replication is not enabled (i.e., max_wal_senders = 0 or
> hot_standby = off)? This doesn't seem to break the existing behavior
> in 9.2.

Please find attached the patch to fix the problem. I changed to keep
restored WAL files in pg_xlog/ only on a cascading standby server. Could
you review and commit this?

BTW, KeepFileRestoredFromArchive() is also called to keep timeline history
files in pg_xlog/. What is this for? Is this necessary for recovery other
than cascading standbys? This seems to accumulate timeline history files
forever in pg_xlog/.

Regards
MauMau

Attachment Content-Type Size
skip_wal_save.patch application/octet-stream 894 bytes