Re: Tags missing from GIT mirror?

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tags missing from GIT mirror?
Date: 2010-05-12 20:18:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 12, 2010, at 22:03 , Tom Lane wrote:
>> David Christensen wrote:
>>> Is there anything to do about the missing tags in git? I've wished for those to be available as well.
>
>> Sure, fix fromcvs to emit them. How is your ruby?
>
> Per Magnus' comment, there isn't anything "missing". We don't make
> branches for beta releases. (Personally I'm thinking that having stub
> branches for the alphas was a mistake too --- obviously, it's leading to
> confusion.)

Yeah, but CVS has tags for the alphas and betas. Those are missing from the GIT mirror as the CVS-to-GIT converter apparently ignores tags completely :-(. Since there are no branches for the betas, this leaves the GIT repository without any trace that beta1 exists at all...

So there is nothing wrong with the CVS, but on the GIT side there is certainly room for improvement.

best regards,
Florian Pflug