Create index hanging

From: Claire McLister <mclister(at)zeesource(dot)net>
To: pgsql general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Create index hanging
Date: 2006-07-20 20:11:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

We have a couple of tables (40,000 and 600,000 rows each) that I am
trying to build an index on an integer column.

When I issue the "create index foo_index on foo(id);" command in
psql it just does not return. I've waited over half an hour for the
smaller table.

The same command worked with no problems on a test environment with
roughly the same data.

Any ideas what may be going on? When I use the "top" command, I
don't see postmaster as working during this time. So I suspect that
the create index has gone in some sort of a wait mode.

Will appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Claire

--
Claire McLister mclister(at)zeesource(dot)net
1684 Nightingale Avenue Suite 201

http://www.zeemaps.com