Re: Python 3.1 support

From: James Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Nathan Boley <npboley(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python 3.1 support
Date: 2009-11-19 17:01:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov 19, 2009, at 3:12 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The other approach, which is what James Pye's
> new implementation proposes (as I understand it), is to convert
> PostgreSQL types into specially made Python objects, such as
> Postgres.types.record or Postgres.types.timestamp.

Convert is not a good word choice. The Datum of the parameter is stored inside a new Python object(that only holds a Datum). So more like "copied into Python memory", and associated with its respective type. Wrapped in a Python object?

One cool thing about doing it this way, is that if you just pass parameters forward to a prepared statement, there's no type I/O overhead. Not a huge performance win for common cases, but if someone were passing larger arrays around, it could be quite beneficial.