Re: regression test client encoding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: regression test client encoding
Date: 2011-04-15 20:09:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What I'd suggest is that we take out the bit of code in pg_regress.c
> that overrides the client encoding.

That doesn't seem like a particularly good idea in view of the recent
changes in psql to try to intuit a default encoding from its locale
environment. If I say --encoding in the command line, that means I want
that encoding, not an environment-dependent one.

> Most of our test files are in
> ASCII, so the client encoding shouldn't matter anyway. And where it
> does matter, the test file itself should set it.
> plpython_unicode.sql would then set the client encoding to UTF8, and the
> second expected file would go away.

Seems to me that plpython_unicode.sql could set the client encoding if
it wants to, regardless of what pg_regress.c might think.