Re: pg_relation_size / could not open relation with OID #

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_relation_size / could not open relation with OID #
Date: 2010-10-07 15:40:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Yeah, you're right that is the proper way to handle this. As the
> problem isn't that serious once you're aware of it, I don't see a large
> amount of motivation to work on that now though, if that's what it will
> take to fix. And Tomas seemed satisfied with a workaround too. I just
> added a TODO item pointing to your suggested implementation so it's more
> likely people will stumble onto the relevant trivia here on their own,
> and maybe some day a patch will get written to implement that idea too.

Well, if we're leaving TODO crumbs, what I had in mind was:

1. Use try_relation_open() not relation_open() to start with.

2. On failure return, do something like

if (relation_recently_dead(relid))
... return NULL ...
else
... throw error ...

relation_recently_dead() would probably be a few dozen lines of code,
but it could be shared among all places where we want to do something
like this.