Re: host name support in pg_hba.conf

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: host name support in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2010-08-10 14:39:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Without the logic to ensure that the hostname matches the reverse
> lookup, this might be useful for us. With that logic it is useless
> for us. I'm wondering how much you gain by having it in there. Why
> can't a forward lookup which matches the requesting IP be considered
> sufficient?

I was about to complain about that same thing. ISTM the logic ought
to be that you do a forward DNS lookup on the name presented in
pg_hba.conf, and if any of the returned IP addresses match the
connection's remote IP address, then you have a match. This business
with doing a reverse lookup is at least twice as expensive, far more
fragile, and it seems completely bogus from a security viewpoint.
Why should I trust the RDNS server for an attacker's IP address?