Re: Migration/Upgrade Problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: stevefoss <sfossum(at)autotraninc(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migration/Upgrade Problems
Date: 2009-04-17 21:53:38
Lists: pgsql-general

> Your library problems are likely because you just copied the binary? I
> assume you didn't actually install postgresql.

That's what it looked like to me --- you can't just copy an executable
that's been built on a far newer platform. However, you could run
pg_dumpall on the newer machine and have it connect to the old server
across the network.

> As far as running older
> versions of pg_dumpall, I am not even sure 8.3 will work on 7.0.

It's supposed to, and I do test it on occasion ;-). The main gotcha I'd
watch out for is that you should probably use --column-inserts instead
of relying on COPY mode for a server that old.