Re: pg_controldata gobbledygook

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_controldata gobbledygook
Date: 2013-04-26 03:19:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The comments in the pg_control.h header file use much more pleasant
> terms, which when put to use would lead to output similar to this:

> Latest checkpoint's next free transaction ID: 0/7575
> Latest checkpoint's next free OID: 49152
> Latest checkpoint's next free MultiXactId: 7
> Latest checkpoint's next free MultiXact offset: 13
> Latest checkpoint's cluster-wide minimum datfrozenxid: 1265
> Latest checkpoint's database with cluster-wide minimum datfrozenxid: 1
> Latest checkpoint's oldest transaction ID still running: 0
> Latest checkpoint's cluster-wide minimum datminmxid: 1
> Latest checkpoint's database with cluster-wide minimum datminmxid: 1

> One could even rearrange the layout a little bit like this:

> Control data as of latest checkpoint:
> next free transaction ID: 0/7575
> next free OID: 49152
> etc.

> Comments?

I think I've heard of scripts grepping the output of pg_controldata for
this that or the other. Any rewording of the labels would break that.
While I'm not opposed to improving the labels, I would vote against your
second, abbreviated scheme because it would make things ambiguous for
simple grep-based scripts.