Re: ECPG/OpenBSD buildfarm failures, take I

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ECPG/OpenBSD buildfarm failures, take I
Date: 2006-09-07 04:02:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> In Plauger's _The Standard C Library_ (1992) on p 335 is an excerpt
> from the standard (I think). At the end of a section entitled
> "7.10.1.4 The strtod function" is the following: "If the correct
> value would cause underflow, zero is returned and the value of the
> macro ERANGE is stored in errno."

The Single Unix Spec also makes it clear that ERANGE on underflow is not
optional:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/strtod.html

I think there is no question that OpenBSD is broken. The question for
us is whether we should expend effort to work around that. We already
have a "small-is-zero" workaround comparison file in the main regression
tests, so my thought is that ecpg should probably do likewise ...