Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility
Date: 2012-10-21 22:20:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com> writes:
> Here is the new patch. I renamed the utility from pg_ping to pingdb to
> go along with the naming convention of src/bin/scripts.

Uh, no, that's not a step forward. Leaving out a "pg" prefix from those
script names is universally agreed to have been a mistake. We've not
felt that changing the legacy names is worth the amount of pain it'd
cause, but that doesn't mean that we should propagate the mistake into
brand new executable names.