Re: improvise callbacks in plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: improvise callbacks in plpgsql
Date: 2005-11-01 21:29:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> writes:
> A simplified idealized version of what I would like to do is
> begin
> select (callback_routine)(record_type)
> end;
> from within a plpgsql function. I am borrowing the C syntax for a
> function pointer here.

Well, there's no function pointer type in SQL :-(. I don't see any way
to do what you want in pure plpgsql. If you're willing to implement an
auxiliary C function you could probably make it go:

create function callit(oid, record) returns void ...

where the OID has to be the OID of a function taking a record-type
argument. The regprocedure pseudotype would allow you not to need
to write any numeric OIDs in your code:

select callit('myfunc(record)'::regprocedure, recordvar);

The body of callit() need be little more than OidFunctionCall1()
plus whatever error checking and security checking you want to
include.