Re: Memory context in exception handler

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory context in exception handler
Date: 2007-01-14 00:14:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But this fails because CopyErrorData() complains by way of assertion
> that we're still in ErrorContext. A nearby comment suggests to switch
> away to another context to preserve the data across FlushErrorState(),
> but that doesn't seem necessary in this situation. Are there other
> reasons why this rule is so rigorously enforced?

I think it's a good error check because if you are trying to make a copy
of the current error data, doing so within the ErrorContext seems highly
unlikely to be safe.

As near as I can tell, you're using CopyErrorData not because you need
an actual copy but just because elog.c doesn't export any other API to
let you see the current sqlerrorcode. Perhaps adding a function to
return the top stack entry's sqlerrorcode would be a better API change?
(I'm a bit uncomfortable with handing out direct access to the struct,
but getting a peek at sqlerrorcode or other scalar values seems safe
enough.)