dblink versus long connection strings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: dblink versus long connection strings
Date: 2010-11-22 16:27:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This bug report:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-11/msg00139.php
shows that this patch was ill-considered:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2010-06/msg00013.php
and this later attempt didn't fix it, because it still misbehaves in
HEAD:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2010-06/msg00070.php
not to mention that that second patch didn't even touch pre-8.4
branches.

I'm inclined to think that we should just change all the
truncate_identifier calls to warn=false, and forget about providing
identifier-truncated warnings here. It's too difficult to tell whether
a string is really meant as an identifier.