Re: is this a bug or I am blind?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Mage <mage(at)mage(dot)hu>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date: 2005-12-16 18:40:20
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 01:06:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ah. So we could redefine hashtext() to return the hash of the strxfrm
>> value. Slow, but a lot better than giving up hash join and hash
>> aggregation altogether...

> Not to put too fine a point on it, but either you want locale-sensetive
> sorting or you don't.

Nobody's said anything about giving up locale-sensitive sorting. The
question is about locale-sensitive equality: does it really make sense
that 'tty' = 'tyty'? Would your answer change in the context
'/dev/tty' = '/dev/tyty'? Are you willing to *not have access* to a
text comparison operator that will make the distinction?

I'm inclined to think that this is more like the occasional need for
accent-insensitive comparisons. It seems generally agreed that you want
something like smash('ab') = smash('b') rather than making the
strings equal in all contexts.

Of course, not being a native speaker of any of the affected languages,
my opinion shouldn't be taken too seriously ...