Re: streamlined standby procedure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)investoranalytics(dot)com>
Cc: postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: streamlined standby procedure
Date: 2006-02-07 18:19:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)investoranalytics(dot)com> writes:
> IMHO the #1 priority in the current PITR/WAL shipping system is to make the
> standby able to tolerate being shut down and restarted, i.e. actually having
> a true standby mode and not the current method of doing it only on startup.

How is shutting down the standby a good idea? Seems like that will
block the master too --- or at least result in WAL log files piling up
rapidly. If the standby goes off-line, abandoning it and starting from
a fresh base backup when you are ready to restart it seems like the most
likely recovery path. For sure I don't see this as the "#1 priority".