Re: Just-in-time Background Writer Patch+Test Results

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Just-in-time Background Writer Patch+Test Results
Date: 2007-09-08 19:22:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In fact, given the numbers you show here, I'd say you should leave the
>> default cycle time at 200ms. The 10ms value is eating way more CPU and
>> producing absolutely no measured benefit relative to 200ms...

> My server is a bit underpowered to run at 10ms and gain anything when
> doing a stress test like this; I was content that it didn't degrade
> performance significantly, that was the best I could hope for. I would
> expect the class of systems that Simon and Heikki are working with could
> show significant benefit from running the BGW that often.

Quite possibly. So it sounds like we still need to expose
bgwriter_delay as a tunable.

It might be interesting to consider making the delay auto-tune: if you
wake up and find nothing (much) to do, sleep longer the next time,
conversely shorten the delay when work picks up. Something for 8.4,
though, at this point.