Re: psql \G command -- send query and output using extended format

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \G command -- send query and output using extended format
Date: 2008-04-03 23:30:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane escribi:
>> Huh? The proposed syntax was
>>
>> \x query...
>>
>> What do you do when you'd like the query to extend over multiple lines?
>> Backslash commands can't cross lines.

> Save the fact that the current query is extended, until query end?

Yech. To name just a couple of problems, what if you decide after
typing another line or two that you didn't want \x after all?
Action-at-a-distance commands suck. You'd also find that this didn't
play very nicely with history recall, since the history stuff assumes
that a line starting with a backslash command is separate from those
around it.

If we want this at all, we should do it the way first proposed (\G).