Re: macports and brew postgresql --universal builds

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Doug Coleman <doug(dot)coleman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: macports and brew postgresql --universal builds
Date: 2012-08-10 22:44:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Doug Coleman <doug(dot)coleman(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The MacPorts Project (http://www.macports.org/) supports building
> universal binaries (32/64bit binaries in one file) for most projects.
> For PostgreSQL, they apply two patches after the configure script to
> correct some of the typedefs. Otherwise, the build fails in compiling
> a switch statement with duplicate cases.

> The HomeBrew Project (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/) is a worthy
> successor to MacPorts, but they don't yet support a --universal
> argument for building PostgreSQL. There is currently a pull request on
> github to add universal support, but it's based on the patches from
> the MacPorts project.

The files you link to don't make much sense to me (they do not look
like patch diffs) but they seem to suggest hard-wiring configure results
into the source code, which does not sound like an acceptable solution
from our standpoint.

The approach we've suggested to people in the past is running configure
for each architecture and then building against that copy of
pg_config.h, or more likely combining the .h files with arch-specific
#ifdefs. You can find more info in our list archives --- the most
relevant thread I could find easily starts here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00884.php