Re: massive quotes?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: massive quotes?
Date: 2003-09-11 14:46:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Some people think a "sql syntax solution" is needed, and some do not.
>>
> So does this get resolved by a vote?

A vote is a little premature when we don't have fully-developed
alternatives to choose from. The psql "literal" proposal is fairly
squishy around the edges (no one's written down an exact spec), while
the camp that wants a sql-syntax solution has not gotten further than
wishing. The COPY camp is touting their answer as applicable to more
than psql, but I haven't seen any explanation of exactly how it would be
useful (or better than existing approaches) in non-psql frontends. The
only specific use-case that's been presented for it is psql scripts.

The discussion so far today seems to be entirely a rehash of arguments
already made (and in many cases already rebutted). Rather than wasting
list bandwidth with this, I think each camp ought to go off and do their
homework. Give us *details* of how your solution would work.