Re: CPU Intensive query

From: Abu Mushayeed <abumushayeed(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CPU Intensive query
Date: 2007-05-18 22:26:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

> one of them has suddenly decided to get very slow

Is there a way to predict when the system will do this? Also, why would it suddenly go from IO intensive to CPU intensive.

Also, this query ran today and it already finished. Today it was IO intensive.

Please provide me some direction to this problem.

Thanks.

Abu Mushayeed writes:
> The query is as follows and it's explain plan is also attached:

The query itself seems to be a simple join over not too many rows, so
I don't see how it could be taking 24 hours. What I suspect is you're
incurring lots and lots of invocations of those user-written functions
and one of them has suddenly decided to get very slow.

http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate