Re: I am done

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I am done
Date: 2002-09-04 13:35:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Does anyone else have an opinion on this? If not, I will implement it per
> Bruce's commentary.

> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I think the second, passing an arg to say whether it is server or
>> client, will do the trick, though now you need an error one too. I
>> guess you have to use #define and set it, or pass a string down with the
>> GUC variable and test that with strcmp.

I think you're going to end up un-merging the routines. There is no way
to pass an extra parameter to the set/check routines (at least not
without uglifying all the rest of the GUC code). The design premise is
that the per-variable hook routines know what they're supposed to do,
and in that case this means one hook for each variable.