Re: postgres 8.2 doesn't start after ubuntu upgrade

From: "Bryan Keith" <bryan(at)ideotrope(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres 8.2 doesn't start after ubuntu upgrade
Date: 2009-03-02 16:55:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

>>> How do I install postgres 8.2? I think I installed 8.2 with something
>>> like sudo apt-get install postgresql, but that will install 8.3 now, I
>>> think.
>>
>> Try: sudo apt-get install postgresql-8.2
>>
>> I'm not sure about Ubuntu. Probably 8.2 isn't included in Intrepid
>> anymore. (packages.ubuntu.com is currently not responding) (Why don't
>> you stay at a LTS ubuntu version for a database server?)
>>
>> If that's the case, try adding the Hardy Heron repository back to
>> /etc/apt/sources.list. If postgres-8.2 isn't available on Intrepid Ibex,
>> it then falls back to that from Hardy Heron.
>
> but I can't figure out what lines to add to /etc/apt/sources.list to find
> the repository. I keep getting this error:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install postgresql-8.2
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package postgresql-8.2 is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package postgresql-8.2 has no installation candidate
> $

OK, there's an extra step that I was missing. Any changing the sources in
sources.list, I needed to run

[code]sudo apt-get update[/code]

Now I have postgres 8.2 installed, and I can see my old databases. I'll
try the upgrading, backup, and all that, and let you know how it goes.

Thank you everyone for all the help.

Bryan