Re: Portability issues in TAP tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Portability issues in TAP tests
Date: 2014-07-18 06:34:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 03:31:19PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> 4. IPC::Run isn't installed by default on RHEL, and probably not on other
>> distros either. If there's a reasonably painless way to remove this
>> dependency, it'd improve the portability of the tests. This is lower
>> priority than the previous items, for sure.

> Perl 5.10 and later incorporate IPC::Cmd, a weaker counterpart to IPC::Run.
> It looked promising as a replacement when I examined the matter briefly. Why
> do you estimate the priority of (4) well below the priority of (3)?

Well, "yum install perl-IPC-Run" fixes that problem on RHEL6. Installing
a more modern version of Test::More is at least one order of magnitude
harder technically; and it might involve political/managerial hurdles as
well, for people who face policies against installing not-supported-by-vendor
packages.