Re: Stored procedures returning rowsets

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: gss+pg(at)cs(dot)brown(dot)edu
Cc: "Pgsql-General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stored procedures returning rowsets
Date: 2002-08-13 15:31:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Gregory Seidman <gss+pg(at)cs(dot)brown(dot)edu> writes:
> It is not, however, clear to me the difference between a stored procedure
> which can be CALL'd and a function which must be SELECT'd. Can anyone
> explain why the distinction is important?

As of 7.3 we should have reasonable support for functions returning
rowsets. The main thing that a CALL-type interface could offer is the
ability for a single procedure call to return *multiple* rowsets.
You can sort of fake this now by returning multiple cursors, but it's
awkward.

The real problem with anything like this is figuring out how to
declare/bind/access output parameters from a CALL. That doesn't
fit into SQL very well, since SQL has no such thing as a global
variable ...