Re: unable to dump database, toast errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lonni Friedman <lfriedman(at)vasoftware(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unable to dump database, toast errors
Date: 2003-04-03 05:52:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Lonni Friedman <lfriedman(at)vasoftware(dot)com> writes:
> So, i took down the DB, started it in standalone, and ran:
> reindex INDEX pg_toast_302323_idx

For a user table you didn't really need to take down the DB.

> but according to the REINDEX dox, i should see a 'REINDEX' if all is
> well, and i never do, i'm just dumped back to another backend> prompt.

That is a user-interface detail that is correct when running psql,
but I don't think a standalone backend bothers with such fine points.
If it didn't spit up an error message then it was happy.

The real question is did pg_dump get any better after you did this?