Re: [GENERAL] Fragments in tsearch2 headline

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: sushant354(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Pierre-Yves Strub <pierre(dot)yves(dot)strub(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Fragments in tsearch2 headline
Date: 2009-04-14 00:57:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Sushant Sinha <sushant354(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Sorry for the delay. Here is the patch with FragmentDelimiter option.
> It requires an extra option in HeadlineParsedText and uses that option
> during generateHeadline.

I did some editing of the documentation for this patch and noticed that
the explanation of the fragment-based headline method says

If not all query words are found in the
document, then a single fragment of the first <literal>MinWords</>
in the document will be displayed.

(That's what it says now, that is, based on my editing and testing of
the original.) This seems like a pretty dumb fallback approach ---
if you have only a partial match, the headline generation suddenly
becomes about as stupid as it could possibly be. I could understand
doing the above if the text actually contains *none* of the query
words, but surely if it contains some of them we should still select
fragments centered on those words.