Re: plpython_unicode test (was Re: buildfarm / handling (undefined) locales)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpython_unicode test (was Re: buildfarm / handling (undefined) locales)
Date: 2014-06-02 23:27:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> Let's just stick to ASCII.

> The more I think about it, the more I think that using a plain-ASCII
> character would defeat most of the purpose of the test. Non-breaking
> space seems like the best bet here, not least because it has several
> different representations among the encodings we support.

I've confirmed that a patch as attached behaves per expectation
(in particular, it passes with WIN1250 database encoding).

I think that the worry I expressed about UTF8 characters in expected-files
is probably overblown: we have such in collate.linux.utf8 test, and we've
not heard reports of that one breaking. (Though of course, it's not run
by default :-(.) It's still annoying that the test would fail in EUC_xx
encodings, but I see no way around that without largely lobotomizing the
test.

So I propose to apply this, and back-patch to 9.1 (not 9.0, because its
version of this test is different anyway --- so Tomas will have to drop
testing cs_CZ.WIN-1250 in 9.0).

plypython-unicode-fix.patch text/x-diff 4.4 KB