Re: Extensions vs PGXS' MODULE_PATHNAME handling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extensions vs PGXS' MODULE_PATHNAME handling
Date: 2011-02-13 19:34:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
>> I think it's better to keep it working as a textual substitution.
>> That poses the least risk of breaking scripts that work today ---
>> who's to say that somebody might not be relying on the substitution
>> happening someplace else than CREATE FUNCTION's shlib string?

> Fair enough, I suppose. So +1 from me, FWIW.

OK, so with that, attached is an example of the complete conversion diff
for a contrib module (hstore in particular). Although "git status"
reports hstore--1.0.sql as being a rename of hstore.sql.in, "git diff"
doesn't seem to be exceedingly bright about presenting it that way :-(.
But actually the change in that script other than renaming is just
removing the "set search_path" command and adjusting the header comment.

I've checked that regression tests pass and "create extension hstore
from unpackaged" successfully upgrades from a 9.0 dump. I don't have
the ability to check that it works on Windows too, but since we're not
hacking pgxs.mk I doubt that there's anything to do to the Windows build
process.

Barring objections, I'll press on with fixing the rest of them.

hstore-conversion.patch text/x-patch 40.0 KB