Re: Gist Recovery testing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Gist Recovery testing
Date: 2005-06-12 17:57:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> There is a problem with gist_xlog_cleanup function - we have no
> information about user defined functions and indices, because postmaster
> doesn't started yet and system catalog isn't available. For btree it's not
> necessary, but for GiST we certainly need them.

btree manages to avoid calling the index support functions during WAL
restore --- can't you do the same? Perhaps you need to be including
more information in the initial xlog records, so that the cleanup step
has everything it needs. Or resort to brute-force search (which is more
or less what btree does). I don't think this operation needs to be very
efficient, since it's a corner case that should only seldom be invoked.

It's a really bad idea to be calling any support functions during WAL
recovery, since you won't have a transaction open for them to run in...